- Assist in daily oversight of AFC’s state work, including monitoring state budgets and spending.
- Work to coordinate and manage workflow between the national government affairs team and state teams.
- Ensure cohesion between the national government affairs team and state teams, bringing together relevant staff to help drive decisions.
- Oversee and coordinate special projects or initiatives that require government affairs and/or cross-departmental involvement.
- Ensure regular cadence of communication between government affairs and other AFC departments (i.e. communications, development, and compliance).
- Work closely with the Director of State Communications Strategy to ensure effective integration of communications strategies with state work, including digital advocacy, content creation, and public relations, as well as the integration of special projects.
- Support the National Director of Government Affairs in determining areas within and outside the organization needing strategic attention.
- Participate in state team calls, providing guidance on issues and following up on items that require attention.
- Assist with the annual state planning process including, but not limited to, editing plans and reviewing proposed budgets.
- Work with national and state team members to complete major funding proposals and reports that require metrics and updates on state activities.
- Assist National Director of Government Affairs and other national team members on operational items including onboarding new government affairs staff and strategic personnel decisions.
- Participate in meetings, conferences, and events with allied organizations as needed.
- Minimum five to seven years of progressively responsible experience in government affairs, political campaigns, or related fields.
- Excellent written, communication, and interpersonal skills, with the ability to build trust and credibility with a wide range of stakeholders.
- Strategic thinking and problem-solving skills with the ability to manage and prioritize multiple projects simultaneously in a fast-paced environment.
- Self-starter and the ability to work independently.
Location: Flexible (Remote)
Employment type: Full time
Salary: Competitive and commensurate with experience
Benefits: Comprehensive benefits package
Equal Opportunity Employer
About the organization: The American Federation for Children is the largest national advocacy organization promoting educational choice. We are a 501(c)(4) organization. We are affiliated with the American Federation for Children Action Fund, a 527 political organization, and we also work closely with our educational partner, the American Federation for Children Growth Fund, a 501(c)(3) organization, to promote the benefits of—and the need for—educational choice.
For more information or to submit a resume, email firstname.lastname@example.org.