Pro-school choice candidates win in Arizona's primary race
PHOENIX (August 30, 2016) The American Federation for Children (AFC), the nation’s voice for educational choice, congratulates pro-school choice candidates who prevailed tonight in Arizona’s primary election.
“We want the best educated kids in the world but far too many are falling through the cracks, and tonight’s results demonstrate that parents are willing to rise up and support pro-school choice candidates,” said Betsy DeVos, Chairman of the American Federation for Children. “School choice has helped millions of students nationwide receive access to a quality education and we will remain committed to ensuring every child has access to a quality school of their parents’ choice.”
AFC Supported Candidates:
- Legislative District 5 – AFC supported newcomer Paul Mosley who won in a crowded Republican primary.
- Legislative District 12 – AFC successfully defended incumbent Rep. Eddie Farnsworth against a strong challenger for his House seat and successfully helped elect newcomer Travis Grantham. AFC also defended Rep. Warren Petersen as he defeated his challenger for the Arizona State Senate.
- Legislative District 14 – AFC is pleased to have had an instrumental role in helping newcomer Becky Nutt win her primary.
- Legislative District 25 – AFC successfully defended incumbent Rep. Rusty Bowers.
- Legislative District 28 – AFC had a significant role in helping Maria Syms win her primary.
In total, AFC invested more than $230,000 on independent expenditures including a mixture of mailers, radio, newspaper and digital ads. AFC did not support any candidates through direct donations. A full breakdown of the independent expenditures made by AFC during this primary election is on the Arizona Secretary of State’s website. AFC remains committed to supporting pro-school choice candidates in the upcoming Arizona general election.