We’re hiring! – Deputy Communications Director
AFC is a non-partisan organization that works across the country to elect state level candidates, pass legislation, and implement laws to help children access the schools of their parents’ choice.
The ideal candidate is a strong writer, detail oriented, willing to take on challenges, has press and campaign and/or public relations experience, and most of all: has a passion for helping all children have an equal opportunity to receive an education that best suits their needs.
The Deputy Communications Director will work extensively with the National Communications Director, along with AFC staff and education reform partners in D.C. and the states, to expand K-12 educational choice across the country.
The position is based in Washington, D.C.
– Assist in developing strategic earned media campaigns for print, online, TV, and radio to defend and promote educational choice, and build AFC’s brand
– Manage the flow of communications department activities and projects to ensure timelines and deadlines are being met
– Develop and manage databases for school choice success stories, reporter and producer lists, media surrogates, and press coverage
– Write and/or edit AFC publications such as the: Yearbook, Legislative Impact Report, Election Impact Report, and Report Card
– Execute communications portion of AFC events such as the AFC National Policy Summit, AFC involvement in National School Choice Week, Capitol Hill briefings and state events
– Converse with members of the news media both nationally and in specific states
– Assist with the development of AFC videos and graphics
– Assist with writing and editing policy papers, blogs, op-eds, newsletters, and press releases
– Gain mastery of technology platforms such as: Nationbuilder, Mailchimp, Cision, Airtable, WordPress, Critical Mention, Slack, Dropbox, and Google Drive
– Five years of experience; previous experience with K-12 policy issues, working on a campaign communications/media team, for a policymaker or policy organization is a preferred.
If you are interested, please tell us a bit about you and email your resume to Tommy Schultz (firstname.lastname@example.org)!
Learn more about AFC here at our website: https://www.federationforchildren.org/